10 Free Printable Groundhog Day Activities for Kids
If you’re looking for some fun and free Groundhog Day activities for your kids, you’ve come to the right place! In this blog post, I’m sharing a set of 10 fun printable activities that are perfect for elementary-aged kids. These activities are educational and entertaining, and best of all, they’re free!
What is Groundhog Day?
Groundhog Day is celebrated every year on February 2nd in North America. According to legend, if a groundhog emerges from its burrow and sees its shadow, winter will last another six weeks. However, if the groundhog does not see its shadow, then spring will arrive early. The tradition of predicting the end of winter has been around since 1840 and is now celebrated in many parts of the world.
Free Printable Activities
We’ve created a set of fun printable activities that are perfect for celebrating Groundhog Day with your kids! These free printables are sure to keep your little ones entertained!
- 10 pages of activities (11 page .pdf)
- shadow predictions (2 versions)
- groundhog day word search + answer key
- If I were a groundhog writing prompt
- label the groundhog
- build words from groundhog
- Draw It, Write It (3 versions)
Groundhog Day Activities for Kids
There are plenty of great ways to get your kids involved in the celebration this year! Here are a few ideas:
• Have a picnic in the park – Take advantage of the milder February weather and enjoy some lunch outdoors with your family. Dress for the weather and enjoy some winter outdoors time. Pack some snacks and beverages and don’t forget to bring your camera.
• Visit a local museum – Many areas have museums dedicated to history or nature which can be great places to explore on Groundhog Day. Check out what’s available in your area and plan an outing with your kids.
• Make groundhog crafts – There are lots of craft projects that use simple materials like paper plates or construction paper that kids can do at home or school for Groundhog Day! You can find lots of ideas online or in craft books at the library.
More Printable Activities for Kids
- Fun Reading Bingo Game for Kids + Bookmarks | Free Printable
- Free Printable Insect Observation Bingo Game Kids will Love!
- Free Printable Parts of an Apple Worksheet for Kids
Free Printable Groundhog Day Activity Pack
How to Download
Just click on the button below and you’ll be taken to the download page.
I hope these printable activities help make celebrating Groundhog Day extra fun for you and your kids this year. Enjoy these fun printables while as you welcome the start of springtime – happy Groundhog Day!