Fun & Free: Printable Animal Cootie Catcher for Kids
Today we’re exploring the fun and playful world of cootie catchers with a free printable animal-themed cootie catcher for kids. Whether you’re a kid looking for a new activity or a mom looking for a fun activity for your kids, this animal cootie catcher is sure to provide lots of entertainment and laughter.
Cootie catchers are a classic childhood toy that many of us have fond memories of playing with. These folded paper origami toys are also known as fortune tellers and can be customized with fun designs and themes. One popular theme for cootie catchers is animals, and in this blog post, I’m sharing a free printable animal-themed cootie catcher for kids to enjoy.
I remember spending countless hours on the school playground with my friends, making cootie catchers out of scraps of paper. We would write silly fortunes and predictions inside and take turns asking each other to pick a color or number to reveal our fates. It was a fun and simple way to entertain ourselves during recess or lunchtime.
Nowadays, kids can enjoy making cootie catchers with a wide variety of themes, including animals. Our free printable animal-themed cootie catcher features twelve different animals, including a lion, monkey, elephant, and more. Kids can color in the animals and write their own fortunes or animal facts inside the flaps. This activity is perfect for a rainy day at home, a birthday party activity, or a fun addition to a classroom lesson on animals.
Why Kids Love Cootie Catchers
Kids love cootie catchers for many reasons! They’re a fun and interactive way to pass the time. Cootie catchers can be made in any color or design, which makes them a great creative outlet for kids.
Secondly, cootie catchers (also known as fortune tellers) allow kids to explore their imagination and come up with their own fortunes and predictions, which can be a fun way to reflect on their own personalities and goals.
Additionally, cootie catchers can be used in a variety of settings, such as on the school playground, at a sleepover, or during a long car ride, making them a versatile and entertaining activity for kids.
Overall, cootie catchers provide a simple yet enjoyable form of entertainment that can bring joy and laughter to children of all ages.
How to Use this Free Printable Animal Cootie Catcher
- Print out the cootie catcher template on a sheet of paper. You can download it at the bottom of this post.
- Cut out the square template along the dotted lines.
- Fold the square in half diagonally, then unfold it and fold it in half diagonally again the other way. Unfold it again so that you have a square with creases down the middle both ways.
- Flip the square over so that the printed side is facing down. Fold each corner towards the center of the square, so that the edges meet at the center point. You should have a smaller square with a cross shape creased in the center.
- Flip the square over again so that the printed side is facing up. Fold each corner towards the center again, but this time only fold the top layer of paper. You should have a smaller square with four flaps that you can lift up.
- Underneath each of the animal names, write a fun fact about that animal or a fortune that relates to the animal (such as “You will have a wild adventure today!”).
- Finally, to use the cootie catcher, have a friend pick a number from the outside of the cootie catcher. Open and close the cootie catcher that number of times, then have them pick another number from the outside. Open the flap with that number, revealing the animal name and the fortune or fun fact underneath.
Ideas for What to Write Inside the Cootie Catcher
Here are some ideas for what to write underneath each animal on the cootie catcher. Each animal features a fortune, fact, and joke!
- Lion: “You have the heart of a lion and the courage to face any challenge.” / “What do you get if you cross a lion with a snowman? Frostbite!” / “A lion’s roar can be heard from up to five miles away!”
- Monkey: “You are clever and curious, like a monkey!” / “Some monkeys use tools, such as using sticks to help them get food.” / “What do you get when you cross a monkey and a kangaroo? An animal that can climb trees really fast!”
- Elephant: “You have a memory like an elephant, you never forget a thing!” / “Elephants are the largest land animals in the world.” / “Why do elephants never use computers? They’re afraid of mice!”
- Pig: “You are hardworking and persistent, just like a pig.” / “Pigs are very intelligent animals, and can even learn tricks!” / “Why do pigs love to sunbathe? So they can get a little ham on their skin!”
- Penguin: “You are cool under pressure, just like a penguin in the Antarctic.” / “Penguins are birds that can’t fly, but they are great swimmers.” / “What do you get when you cross a penguin and an alligator? I don’t know, but watch out for its slippery tail!”
- Cow: “You have a nurturing and patient spirit, like a cow.” / “Cows can produce up to 6 gallons of milk per day!” / “Why do cows wear bells? Because their horns don’t work!”
- Tiger: “You have a fierce and powerful spirit, like a tiger.” / “Tigers are the largest of all the big cats.” / “What do you call a tiger that’s good at math? An al-gebrrrrra!”
- Owl: “You have wisdom and insight beyond your years, like an owl.” / “Owls are nocturnal birds that can turn their heads up to 270 degrees.” / “Why did the owl invite his friends over? For a hootenanny!”
- Turtle: “You have a patient and steady personality, like a turtle.” / “The shell of a turtle is part of its skeleton.” / “Why do turtles live in the water? Because they’re afraid of shell phones!”
- Whale: “You have a peaceful and harmonious spirit, like a whale.” / “Whales are the largest animals on Earth.” / “What do you get when you cross a whale and a school teacher? Moby Quick!”
- Dog: “You are loyal and friendly, like a dog.” / “Dogs can come in many shapes and sizes, from tiny Chihuahuas to massive Great Danes.” / “Why don’t dogs make good dancers? Because they have two left feet!”
- Bunny: “You have a gentle and nurturing nature, like a bunny.” / “Bunnies have very strong hind legs, which help them run and jump quickly.” / “What do you get when you cross a bunny and a spider? A hare-net!”
Playing with cootie catchers is a simple yet fun activity that can provide hours of entertainment for kids. It’s a great way to spark creativity and imagination while also improving fine motor skills.
With our free printable animal cootie catcher, kids can learn about different animals while also having fun making and playing with their own fortune teller. Give it a try and see how much fun you can have with this classic childhood game!
Do you have any creative ideas for what to write underneath the animals on this animal cootie catcher?
More Fun Printables for Kids
- Free DIY Burger Joint Printable for Kids: Pretend Play Fun
- A Fun Free Printable Dinosaur Museum for Pretend Play: Kids Will Love It!
- Fun and Easy Flower Crafts for Kids to Make!
Free Printable Animal Cootie Catcher
For many of us, cootie catchers (also known as fortune tellers or chatterboxes) were a staple of childhood, often played on the playground or during sleepovers with friends. Not only were they a fun way to pass the time, but they also sparked our imagination and creativity. Now, you can share that same joy and nostalgia with your own children by introducing them to a free printable animal-themed cootie catcher!
How to Download
Just click on the button below and you’ll be taken to the download page.