Happy Endings

My Life Documented Monday #2

My Life Documented - Week #2 with Free Printable Jounral Cards @ AVirtuous Woman.org

31 Days of Calm in My Chaos {Day 11}

I received this sweet email this morning from a concerned reader. She said:

Are you ok? I wasn’t reading 31 days of Calm, but it didn’t take a genius to realize that day 11 is 9 days late. Is there any prayer you need?

I want to take a moment to say that I plan to continue on with the 31 Days of Calm, you can still join me if you want!

So, it’s a long story. Hence, this is a long post. However, at the end of this post, you’ll find a great Project Life freebie! So, for those of you who are completely not interested in the crazy mundane going-ons in my life, you can just scroll down.

It all started nearly two weeks ago. My son, James was here, preparing to leave for his year long internship in Canada. We only had a few days to go and it was already a busy week.

Every Wednesday we drive 2 1/2 hours to Knoxville and spend the entire day at the Ice Chalet so that my 13 year old can practice and have her ice skating lessons. It’s a long day. {But very worth it.} We left around 9:00 am and arrived home twelve hours later. It was a very nice day and my son’s girlfriend drove up from Chattanooga to spend the day at the ice rink with us.

At the Ice Chalet in Knoxville.
At the Ice Chalet in Knoxville.

I was exhausted and put the kids to bed as soon as we got home – but I still didn’t get to bed until late.

Thursday morning, just as I was waking up {late} my son walked in and handed my his tablet and said, “Mom, I could go here.” I had been on his case all week about getting his cavity filled before he left for a year. What you don’t know about my 22 year old boy is that he is deathly afraid of needles. He had a panic attack the last time he went to the dentist to get his teeth fixed. I was worried that the cavities would get worse and then he’d be in pain.

So, when he said, “Mom, I could go here.” I immediately offered to call the water laser dentist – they could fix his cavities without a shot. But he was scheduled to leave the very next day and I knew it was a long shot asking for an appointment at a new dentist that morning. But that’s what moms do.

I called the dentist and explained the situation to the receptionist. She was so nice! And I am convinced that God performed a miracle just so Jame could get his teeth fixed. They’d had a school cancel – so their morning was wide open!

I jumped out of bed, threw my clothes on, and ran out the door with James. It was a two hour drive and they wanted us there in two hours. We arrived a few minutes late, but we made it. We were at the dentist for about three hours and he got all of the work that he needed done. Then, we grabbed a bite to eat before heading home.

One of the big problems was that James’ passport had yet to arrive and the passport agency was giving us the run- around. They just kept saying that it was still in processing and since James’ had to be in Canada by Monday, we were very worried. He’s applied for expedited service – paid extra – over two months before and they had promised to overnight the passport to him over a week ago, but something happened and it was hung up.

So, after we left the dentist, I called our Representative in the House. We needed the passport asap. He planned to leave the following day.

Well, thankfully, our Representative came through for us. They pushed the passport through and had it over-nighted to James’ brother’s house in Michigan where he’d planned to spend the weekend, leaving on Sunday for Canada.

Unfortunately, we didn’t find out until late that they didn’t select Saturday delivery, so the passport was scheduled to arrive in MI on Monday morning – the day he was supposed to start his job. I tried to get UPS to intercept the package with no luck. So, as frustrating as it was, he had to wait until Monday to leave for Canada.

I managed to get a post up on Friday, after James left for Michigan. And I had every intention of posting again on Saturday night. But then, as so often happens, life doesn’t go the way I plan. We went to church on Sabbath morning, had potluck, had two video presentations after potluck, and then a couple in our church invited us to come visit their home. And, since I had had to turn them down more than once, we felt guilty not accepting the offer – even though we were exhausted and really just wanted a nap!

However, I have to say, we completely enjoyed ourselves. It was nice visit. But we didn’t get home until almost 10:00 pm.

Unfortunately, by the time we got home, my 19 year old daughter Sarah was feeling sick. Like, really sick. She has Chron’s Disease and sometimes she eats something that makes her really sick. Our dear friends had served us popcorn and nuts {two foods she has a hard time digesting}. If I had realized she would get sick, I would have said somethings or told her not to eat them, but she two four of her food enzymes – which usually help with that.

She hasn’t been that sick in a few years. She was in terrible pain and throwing up and her whole body was just shaking. It was terrible.

So, I ended up being up with her until about 2 am. I think she was up off and on the whole night puking, but she didn’t wake me up after that.

I was already exhausted from the week before, so I slept in on Sunday morning and then just had a really tired lazy day. I needed one. I’ve been suffering for sometime from adrenal fatigue and exhaustion, so Sunday was pretty much a bust. I watched a couple of movies with the girls in bed. Sunday night, I did get up and put together the first two weeks in my Project Life album.

I had every intention of getting that post up on Monday morning. Unfortunately, I didn’t realize that my MIL who has been very ill had a doctor’s appointment on Monday morning, and her brother {who lives with her} can’t be left alone. So, I had to spend the morning sitting with him. I arrived home at 1 pm.

Now, remember, that James got his passport on Monday morning and was headed for the border. If you follow me on Facebook, you may have seen my urgent prayer request on Monday afternoon:

Urgent Prayer Request

I was very moved by all of the comments and prayers lifted up on behalf of my son! So thank you!

He called me just after I arrived back home from sitting with Uncle Kenneth. I knew it was a bad sign when I saw he was calling because I had talked to him earlier and knew he only planned to call me back if there was a problem {he was going to turn off his cell phone when he crossed the border to avoid roaming charges}.

Long story short – I ended up being on the phone for almost 5 hours straight. Talk about stress! Here my son was up – 12 hours from home and really having a terrible time. I was so glad when Monday was over. At 6:00 we made the decision to have him drive to Buffalo New York which was I think a seven hour drive from where he was at in Michigan – if he didn’t go through Canada, which he couldn’t. My husband left at 2 am on Tuesday morning to meet him in Buffalo to try and resolve the issues at the border.

Again I posted on Facebook:

Driving to Buffalo NY

They were in the port of entry office at the border for hours. And in the end, James ended up coming home and arrived home around 3 am on Wednesday morning.

There was a total mix up with his visa. He was told he needed one thing when he really needed another. So, he is currently in the process of trying to get the correct visa. It’s all going to work out. At least it wasn’t his fault. He did everything they had told him to do.

So, that was Tuesday. While my husband and James were in Buffalo, NY trying to work things out, I was at home. I took Emily and Laura to their music lessons and then Emily had to go to the dentist to have 3 baby teeth extracted in preparation for braces in a few weeks. It was a traumatic experience for her! Very painful and she came out just crying so. It was terrible. I went home and had to babysit two of my grandsons who stay with me regularly. I cooked and tried to get things cleaned up – because, honestly very little housekeeping had gotten done over the last week and the house was looking pretty bad.

Wednesday morning, we repeated the whole drive to Knoxville for Ice Skating practice and lessons. We got home around 10:00 pm. It was a long day and I was exhausted. You might think that while Hannah practices for five straight hours that I would have time sit on my computer and getting some writing in. They do have free WIFI at the ice rink. But that’s not the case. She needs me to help her practice so I stand there in the freezing cold wrapped in a blanket and coach her for five hours straight. I love doing it, though and I am so proud of her determination and hard work!

Anyway, so Thursday morning we had to go get a load of hay because the horses were about to be out and stack it. That’s always fun. Right.

I found out that since James was back home that his sweet girlfriend wanted to come spend the weekend with us. I loved the idea and I told James she was welcome to come. The only problem with that was that the house was a major disaster. I mean, it was really bad. Two weeks of stress and go-go-go had done a number on the house. So the girls and I spent the rest of the day cleaning up and trying to get in some school work.

Friday, as it snowed outside, I spent the afternoon putting away Christmas decorations, working in the kitchen, and cooking a good meal for supper.

My kitchen window.
My kitchen window.

Sabbath, we went to church, had potluck and came home. It was 33 degrees, but sunny and it had snowed on Friday, so we decided it would be fun to head over to Kingdom Come State Park for a hike. It was a perfect day.

At Kingdom Come State Park

At Kingdom Come State Park

BTW, Aren’t they so cute together?

At Kingdom Come State Park

Sunday morning {yesterday}, I woke up, made breakfast and then my son asked me if I wanted to go for another hike. So, we packed everyone into the truck and headed up to Cumberland Falls State Park. It was an amazing day. The hike was incredible. About 750 stairs {going and coming} plus two miles of hiking along the cliff – so beautiful!

The girls loved every minute of it and Hannah B. {James’ girlfriend} had never done anything like it before. It was an adventure.

At Cumberland Falls.

At Cumberland Falls.

At Cumberland Falls.

At Cumberland Falls.

At Cumberland Falls.

At Cumberland Falls.

Really, my favorite thing to do, if I have to a choice is to be out on a hike or camping. It was a sunny 40 degrees and the temperature was just right. We wore coats, but we weren’t cold and we weren’t hot.

This morning we had leftovers for breakfast and then I made this amazing Mediterranean meal at the request of James and since he’s leaving and Hannah B. was still here, there was no way I was not going to cook one of our favorite meals.

  • Falafels
  • Hummus
  • Tabouli
  • Greek Salad
  • Tzatziki sauce
  • Stuffed Grape Leaves
  • Oilives
  • Olive Tapenade
  • Ciabatta Bread with Dipping Sauce
  • Pita Bread

A Mediterranean Dinner at AVirtuousWoman.org

So, all of this brings me to my point. This is MY life. It is up to me to live it well. Yes, I love writing here at A Virtuous Woman. I’ve spent nearly 13 years of my life writing here. But I love my family more. And this week I needed to focus on my family even though I knew I would probably lose some readers. I try really hard to stick to my goals and deadlines here, but sometimes God has other ideas.

Life happens. Life can be really stressful. Sometimes it’s really wonderful. But everyday is a gift.

[Tweet “Life happens. Life can be really stressful. Sometimes it’s really wonderful. But everyday is a gift.”]

Which is why I love documenting my life with Project Life. I took several hundred photos this week. It’s going to be fun sorting through them and picking my favorites to print. It’s also going to take some time. So, I’m hoping I can find the time to get that done so I have more to share with you next week!

I had a lot of fun starting my 2014 Project Life Album. I did very little embellishing for the first two weeks. I was tired, it was late, and I really just wanted to get it done so I could stay current. I don’t like having lots of weeks to catch up on. I did a good bit of journaling. I didn’t take as many photos the first two weeks of the January as I normally do. Considering this weekend alone I took several hundred photos, but that’s okay. I took enough that represented out week and took photos of those things I really wanted to remember.

So, I made a video last week about my new Project Life Album. I’m going to say this right now. I am no good at making videos. It’s something I want to improve on this year, so just please bear with me – or just don’t watch it!

Products I used:

Free Printable Journal Cards

And now for the free printable. If you read all of this, I want to thank you for sharing in my chaos. This crazy life of mine – I treasure each moment. I hope and pray that you’ll embrace the crazy life that you live.

My Life Documented - Week #2 with Free Printable Jounral Cards @ AVirtuous Woman.org

How to Download

  1. Follow me on Twitter and/or Instagram if you can. Or Pinterest. Thanks!
  2. Download the .pdf file for 2014 Journal Cards here.

Document the Everyday

Instagram is my other favorite tool for keeping memories alive. It’s free and easy to sign up. If you do get an Instagram account, I’d love to have you follow me @thevintagehomemaker!

P.S. I’m linking this post to The Mom Creative: Project Life Tuesday Link Up. Be sure to visit her!

Do you scrapbook? Have you ever done Project Life?


This is My Life Documented Planner will aid you in the weekly planning of your project life or other documenting.

Page from This is My Life Documented Planner @ AVirtuousWoman.org #planner #moms